Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I don't need easy. I just need possible.

I do apologize for not blogging in awhile. I am saddened to say that my faith has not been as strong as it once was since summer has begun, just like I was warned it would. But hopefully this blog among other things will keep me a women after God's own heart.

However, a few days ago a friend of mine asked to do a movie night and we ended up going to Soul Surfer. I had heard many good things about this movie but was scared to go see a movie that I knew ended with a girl getting her arm bitten off by a shark. I always hate it when bad things happen to the good guys.

But that was not it at all! The movie is not about getting bit by a shark. It's about how God works in mysterious ways and there is nothing you cannot do through Him. And the movie portrayed this so well! In this day and age, the media is so against Christianity and does everything in its power to give us and God a bad name. But how can you not want to root for a teenage girl with this kind of courage?! I was amazed at how well they made the movie Hollywood-worthy but still gave God all the glory quite obviously.

I did not want this movie to end. But by the time it was done, I was ready to conquer the world. I felt as though I could run a marathon or climb Everest or swim across the entire ocean. I was so on fire for the Lord and I didn't realize how much I had needed it until watching this movie! I cannot WAIT until it comes out on dvd and I highly recommended all of you watch it.

At one point in the movie, Bethany realizes that through God she can accomplish anything and wants to surf again but has to go from a beginner's surf board to a professional competitor's board in very little time. She tells her father, "I don't need easy. I just need possible." This has become my new life motto. Life is not easy. God did not intend it that way. Note that Matthew 19:26 says, "with men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible." It does not say that all things are easy - it just says they are possible. Whatever you hope to accomplish in life, it will not be easy. But if you put your trust in the Lord, there is nothing you can't accomplish.

And do not be discouraged when things take an ugly turn. The Lord works in mysterious ways. At one point in Soul Surfer, Bethany says, "How can this be God's plan for me?" And you may think just what she thought - how can a girl tragically and  traumatically losing her arm be God's plan for her? How can that be working towards her goal of being a professional surfer?

Well God had a different plan for her - one that included a tremendous part of Him and allowing her to reach millions with His word. Bethany Hamiliton is now a professional surfer, living the dream she always wanted, and was given the opportunity to reach millions, if not hundreds of millions, of people to show them that God is truly great. She wouldn't have this opportunity if she hadn't lost her arm. And I will wager to guess that her faith is so much stronger because of this experience.

Never despair. God is great, and if you trust in Him alone and not men, He will give you the world. He loves you, and He loves me, and He wants nothing but the best for us.

God Bless!
ChristianKid

PS - I love movies! Here are some great Christian movies listed in no particular order:
- Fireproof (great story on a prideful person finding God, famous in Christian movie world)
- Facing the Giants (incredibly inspirational story of a football team placing their team in the hands of God)
- Faith Like Potatoes (true story!)
- Left Behind series (based on the books explaining the end times through a fantastic fictional story. Only three movies ever made, however)
- Book of Eli (actually a mainstream movie, very symbolistic of Biblical main themes)
- Chronicles of Narnia (based on the books, so much symbolism of the Bible it's ridiculous - but awesome)

There are, of course, many more but these are the ones I have seen and feel very confident recommending.

No comments:

Post a Comment