Thursday, May 5, 2011

A Blank Blog

I never know exactly how to start out when I write. There are so many things to fill a blank blog with; I never know how to choose! I sometimes have a vision, and then part way through, my vision changes and I start all over again. Well, this is the result of my vision changing. I started a blog last summer about following Christ, but it ended up being sort of like a condensed sermon. And I'm no preacher so that kind of fell by the way side. The URL is http://christiankid-ajourneywithchrist.blogspot.com/ if you want to check it out. I think there were some valuable messages that were mostly based on other sermons I'd heard, but it's not very personal or interesting I think.

So this is going to be my own personal walk with Christ that I'm sharing you! Yay for sharing my life with people who probably have much better things to do but enjoy procrastinating like I do.

A little background: I have just one more day of my freshman year of college left to complete. I have had the most awesome year that Christ could have ever blessed me with. There are many things incoming college students worry about when moving to college such as meeting people, having a terrible roommate, getting lost, and my biggest worry - falling out of faith. I always figured Christ wasn't as at work at college as he is everywhere else. Wrong! I have never met so many people into their faith as I have coming here. I was blessed with a roommate who is practically my sister we get along so well who helps me along with questions I have while doing my daily Bible reading. I met a wonderful boyfriend who comes to all my church things with me and thoroughly enjoys it! I highly recommend this to all you dating folks - keeping Christ at the center makes everything so much better. Over this past year, I have found a wonderful new church home, an amazing youth group that is unlike anything I've ever experienced, a Bible study filled with wonderful and encouraging folks, as well as friends to push me in my faith and others that I have been able to encourage as well. Whenever someone asks me how college is going, I can't help but talk about my enormous blessings here because they are such a tremendous part of my life! It's so refreshing!

My youth group: I mentioned my youth group is unlike any other. And I love it that way. It's on Sunday nights (I wish it was every night) at my church and college students from all different denominations come together to hear the message. We usually average 100 people in this room, which is pretty good for a small Midwestern college at a church far from campus. Its always pitch black except for the candles lighting the outside aisles and the stage lights. We have a full band complete with inspiring singers, talented electric, bass, and acoustic guitarists, a very energetic drummer, and incredible pianist. We start out just singing music at the top of our lungs and reaching out to Christ in whatever way we want. The band always plays loud enough so you can be totally tone-deaf and sing out without being embarrassed which is really nice because we rock the house with all of us singing so loud! After a few songs, we sit down and Pastor comes to give us a short ten minute-ish sermon that gets us all thinking and renewing ourselves in the Lord. Then comes my favorite part: praying. Pastor gives us a few things to think and pray about and then our pianist plays soft, soothing music and the whole place gets quiet while all 100 of us college students bow our heads to pray. The first time I was there, it was rather uncomfortable because I wasn't expecting it. But now I love it! We pray for at least ten minutes, if not more. Most of us get rather emotional during this time, and you can always hear people crying. But it's so uplifting to stand up after that and keep singing. It's a feeling unlike any other. Sometimes while singing I close my eyes if I know the song and I feel God literally picking me up! When I open my eyes again, I feel as though I'm being set down, and it takes me awhile to get used to my feet being on the ground again. I just love it!

Anyway, sorry for the overly-wordy blog for this first one. Not promising it won't happen again though. I like to talk, lol. So here starts my journey with sharing my walk with Christ with you, whoever you might be!

God Bless!
ChristianKid

No comments:

Post a Comment